Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"Emma", by Jane Austen (1815)


Hello everybody,

Today I’ll talk to you about the last book I read. The last book I read was “Emma”, was write by Jane Austen. This book is a comic and romantic novel, published for first time in 1815 and it’s about the risks of misinterpret the romance. I read this book in the summer and I chose it because I wanted to read something simple and entertaining. Besides, I know this author and I know how she write. I found “Emma” between the books of my sister in the house of my parents.




















Ok… The principal character is Emma Woodhouse, she is a younger, rich and genteel women that live in Georgian-Regency England. Emma thinks that she will never marry anyone, and she is convinced that she has a gift for conjuring love matches. The main interest of Emma is helping others to live a life so perfect like yours. In this way, Emma starts a strategy to get possible suitors for your new friend Harriet Smith. Harriet is a young and modest woman away from the life style of high society. Emma persuades Harriet to refuse an advantageous marriage with a younger and respectable farmer, Mr. Martin. The aim of Emma is that Harriet marry with Mr. Elton, a younger and rich man. But the matchmaker instinct of Emma is wrong when she realizes that Mr. Elton wants to marry with her. Thereafter the story becomes more complex, appears new characters and the story transmits to the reader a lot of excitement about the ending.

In the other hand, this book has been adapted for the screen in different times: in 1972, with Doran Godwin as Emma and in 1996 with Gwyneth Paltrow as Emma. Here I share with you a video trailer of the film.


1 comment:

  1. I´m the first one. (:

    Your sister has a lot of books from Jane Austin. :s

    ReplyDelete